My first full week is complete here at Western and I feel adequately informed to start making predictions about this quarter. Completely my AA degree at Centralia College, allowed me to waive all the nitty-gritty general requirement courses and jump right into my major and endorsements. This is a wonderful money saver but a horrible schedule. This quarter I have five classes totaling 18 credits. That equals several days’ worth of homework plus eighteen plus hours of class time. My two years off is also making me feel slightly behind the ball when it comes to remembering how to study, write papers, and be a good college student in general. Luckily enough, I love my classes. They are all so applicable and include hands-on, real world situations to accompany their theory.
Interestingly enough, I have also been going through a personal revival. Why this time of all times, I mused last night, would God choose this over-worked, overloaded transition as a time to start building upon foundations he has already laid. Why not wait until I have more quiet time to reserve for him? In reality the hour or so I spend with him everyday simply because I am hungry for more of Him, is foolish. I should be spending that time doing homework. The hours I take out of my study time to attend bible study, church and CCF is also ridiculous, one Christian event should be sufficient shouldn’t it? Classes are piling up! The time that I take out of my schedule to talk with homesick freshmen or to eat lunch with a Wiccan simply because God told me to, is poor time management. I am in conflict. I am called to be a good steward of what God has given me, i.e. the money He provided for me to come here in the first place. Shouldn’t I be focusing on getting good grades and doing homework? On the other hand, as I was meditating on the passage in Luke where Mary and Martha had a conflict about who should be doing what, the words’ Jesus spoke to Martha resonated in my very most being.
“Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42but only one thing is needed.[f] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."
Only one thing is needed? Really? So as long as I am trusting and following what God has for me during quiet times, during lunch hour, during times when I really should be doing classroom busy work, I am doing the only thing that is really needed, resting at his feet? This is a very difficult concept for a people-pleasing, over-achiever like me to understand. And once again I ask, “Why Lord did you have to choose this time of all times to light a fire in my soul?” But didn’t he warn all of us that his wisdom seems foolish in the eyes of the world. And should I be able to trust him enough to know if he is asking for my time and I give of it freely, He will in turn work everything out for the good of those who love him?
I would love thoughts and comments if God gives you any insight in this struggle. Please note, that I have turned in all my assignments on time so far. I have chosen not to come home this weekend so I could spend time working on my homework load, so I’m not completely dropping the ball on my homework load but I am questioning what position it should be in on my “to do” list. Lots of love from Bellingham!
