If I may, I would like to share a very difficult assignment I've been working on. I had to create a poem that looked at my past and then share how my past shaped my future. This is a difficult assignment to write an essay about, let alone a poem! Since I'm not particularity gifted in the area of creative poetry, my stress level on this assignment was quite high. But like most assignments that I sweat over, I end up quite proud of the results. It's not great poetry but it's a great deal of work and therefore deserves more than simply a grade in my opinion. :)
So to break up the monotony of blogs, I thought I would add this poem and let you get a glimpse of what Elementary Education students get assigned for homework.
Enjoy... or not, if you're an amazing poet, you'll be simply horrified by this then...
Where I am from…
By Elisabeth Holmes
I am from breakfast and homework, pajamas and math
School never ending, learning all day along
I am from a teacher who was my mom
A principal who was my father
I am from “communication!”
No avoiding issues or getting away with a grunt or a nod.
I am from family Frisbee games
Laughing and enjoying, rolling and tumbling
I am from the security of my parent’s choice –
Actively involved in my life, friends and guardians
I am from urban shoved into rural – shock!
Mall shopper turned river mogul
I am from days catching tiny minnows or slimy salamanders
Evenings creeping through Indian infested forests
I am from successful bank dad stripped to struggling entrepreneur
Rice and potato meals, easy to tighten tight belts
I am from counting blessings
My family’s love is enough!
I am from “to whom much is given much is expected.”
Active love, no longer passive observing
I am from mission Thailand
Teaching my native tongue
I am from a bitter taste of hopelessness
Seeing the world with new eyes
I am from seeing a way out of despair
A skill I could teach!
I am from the possibilities unlimited
If only I am willing to do — to go
I am the choice to pour out love
My family freely gave to me…
I am the choice to reach the unreached
Though I may be the minority
I am the hope that I will be used powerfully
Simply because I am willing
I am the hope that someday, I will be “the teacher who cares”
I am ready.
