I hope all is well with my faithful friends back home. I love the little updates I get from you on facebook and through emails. It’s only the end of the second week of school and I’m already losing touch with reality a bit. There is a very large bubble surrounding us studious college kids and it hard to remember there is a bigger world out there sometimes. :)
I thought I would give you an update of what this quarter looks like for me so you can picture my week better and pray more clearly if you so desire.
Winter is hard for me. The dark days, the short hours of what little light we get. My SAD light helps immensely but I still find my typical hormonal swings deepening and lasting longer than normal. Knowing my propensity to “get the blues” I decided to attack a large load of credits and more difficult classes. My hope is that my homework will outweigh the blues! We shall see if that was a wise move or not at the end of the quarter. ;) For now, I am taking eighteen credits consisting of one math class which is super challenging and very, very interesting. One technology class which is a fairly easy three credits. One health class which is a joke in my opinion but challenging nevertheless, one special education class which gets me slightly riled at all the politically correct rhetoric they throw around and one TESL class which is terribly long but very useful. All in all, I am in class every day for an average of four hours. This is a lot considering each class is double that in homework time.
Please don’t get me wrong though, I am really enjoying all of my classes. We are focusing more on the pedagogy of teaching rather than the theory surrounding teaching and while I am not in a classroom this quarter I am working on lesson plans and practicing on my fellow classmates.
God has also provided me with an opportunity to attend a BIBLE class here on campus! As many of you know I am involved with CCF (Campus Christian Fellowship) and this quarter they are teaching a non-credit class on what it means to be a disciple of Jesus. It will be meeting once a week for two hours and I really enjoyed this first session. It will be super refreshing to be able to “study” God instead of the world every week! I am still involved with CCF Friday night worship session (a cross between youth group and church) and our smaller bible study groups. Last quarter I also found a church that I love called Oikos Fellowship. It is much more liturgical than I have ever experienced but the messages are so juicy and deep that I find myself writing more notes during the sermon than I do for most of my classes!
As planned, I got in contact with the Crisis Pregnancy Center here in Bellingham and have joined their club on campus. I believe this quarter we will be hosting talks with the Christian communities on campus and instigating conversations in the public square here on campus about relationships. I cannot wait to see what God will do with our boldness!
So between classes, homework and God my life is pretty full and yet I feel sure I could still stuff it with more things! A job is still playing at the back of my mind as a wish and desire but right now God has that door closed. And I would love to be back in a classroom again but again, that door appears to be closed for the moment. It’s so easy to keep “busy” and it appears that the busier I get, the more activities I want to add. A strange sort of addiction if you ask me. Would you mind if I listed some specific prayer needs I have this quarter? I could really use some prayer in the area of where to live and who to live with next year. My fantastic roomy is gradating this year and I will be bereft of her company. I just need some clarity on whether to live on or off campus and who would be the best person(s) to live with. I have a couple options at the moment but know that this is a wonderful opportunity for God to move so I would love some prayers for wisdom. Also, would you please pray for continued peace and contentment even if I get depressed this quarter? I have a blog about peace and self-control burning to be written down here pretty soon but haven’t gotten to it yet.
Thank you all for your continued support and love!
