Sunday, September 13, 2009

And She's Off!



As most of you probably remember, September 2007 found me leaving for a five month mission trip to Australia and then to Thailand. During this time I fell deeply and madly in love with God and through my time spent in Thailand I also fell in love with Asia and teaching English as a Second Language.
When I returned home I fully expected God to tell me what do with my new passion for Him and my interest in missions. I kind of expected Him to tell me what country I should focus on next, or which mission organization to apply to, or possibly where to go to school to get a degree in teaching. But instead, like God does with many of our assumptions, He asked me to set them aside for His timing and His plan.
This past year and a half has been an amazing continuation of the lessons God taught me overseas. He has taken my emotional passion and turned into a deep grounded love, He has shown me how to be quiet enough to Hear Him when He is speaking softly in mundane experiences. He has shown me how to be deliberate in serving Him in comfortable situations and He has shown me that He is the same powerful God Here in safe Lewis County as He was in the wilds of Australia. While this time has been full of ups and downs, I wouldn’t trade the lessons He has taught me for anything! As usual, His timing is perfect!
This past winter God started opening doors and setting plans into motion and I now can see the next step. Thursday (September 17th) I will be heading up to Western Washington University to finish up my BA in elementary education with an endorsement in Teaching English as a Second Language. There have been so many confirmations that this really is the next step God has for me. From finding a Christian roommate, to provided the finances, to having a new major in them Elementary department starting this quarter focusing on teachers who want to teach overseas! God hand is evident in everything.
I know our culture makes going off to college mundane and expected but I feel that this season in my life is anything but mundane. I truly feel that this is my next mission trip, that God has specific people for me to talk with and situations for me to step into. I’m so excited about the things He has already been speaking with me about and I cannot wait to see what He has in store.
I would covet your prayers specifically for me as a missionary. Please pray for wisdom and insight, for my own spiritual growth and strength. That I would not become discouraged or overwhelmed with the natural pressures of college and most of all for courage to speak up and step out when He calls me to.
Thank you all for your loving support, please keep in touch.
Email: spiceadvice@gmail.com